When entering Makkah Mukarramah:
On reaching Makkah Mukarramah one should find accommodation and settle first. Thereafter it is Mustahab (preferable) to perform Ghusl. If this is not possible, Wudhu will suffice. Do not use soap or shave when bathing. Thereafter, enter the alMasjid ul Haraam, preferably through Babus Salaam. It should be remembered that a woman, not in the state of performing Salaah, should NOT enter the Masjid. Enter with the right foot, with utmost humbleness and respect and recite:
The Niyyat for I’TIKAAF should also be made like this:
(I intend making I’TIKAAF for Allah till I remain in the Masjid.)
and the Talbiyah should be recited constantly:
(Here I am O Allah, (in response to Your call), here I am. Here I am, You have no partner, here I am. Indeed all the Praise, Grace and Sovereignty belong to You. You have no partner.)
- Thereafter, one should engage himself in making Du’a (supplication) for this is a place where Du’as are accepted.
- If a Farz, Waajib or Sunnat Muakkadah Salaah has still to be performed, then this should be completed before commencing the Tawaaf.
The following things are permitted in Ihraam:
- To take a bath, be it Waajib or to cool one’s body.
- Killing of wild dogs, crows, scorpions, flies, bugs, mosquitoes, cockroaches and wild animals that are harmful.
- To use a Miswaak.
- To slaughter cattle, poultry, sheep and goats.
- To rub the body gently, taking note that no hair falls off the body.
- To use odourless Surma.
When in Ihraam abstain from the following:
- Quarreling and using vulgar languages.
- Clipping the nails.
- Hunting of wildlife, chasing game or aiding a hunter in any way.
- Killing lice, indicating it to others and removing it from the body or hair.
- To use perfume, scent and every other thing that has a fragrance, e.g. fragrant soap, etc.
- To trim, shave or clip the hair off the body.
- Intercourse, and everything relating or leading to it.
- The males must not wear sewn garments, underwear, gloves or socks. Their heads and faces must NOT be covered at any time.
- To comb or groom the hair.
- It is Makrooh to wash one’s head and beard with soap. It is also Makrooh to remove dirt form ones body by using soap or any other cleaning agent.
Niyyat and Talbiyah
After having performed the two Rak’aats Sunnat of Ihraam, remove the headgear (men only) and say the Niyyat and Talbiyah which are Waajib. Without this, the Ihraam will not be accepted. If one goes beyond the Meeqaat without the Niyyat (with Ihraam), Dum will have to be given. When in Ihraam repeat the Talbiyah as often as possible. It is Mustahab to repeat it thrice whenever recited. After the Niyyat and Talbiyah one becomes a Muhrim (one whose Ihraam is valid). The Talbiyah is as follow :
Here I am O Allah, (in response to Your call), here I am. Here I am, You have no partner, here I am. Indeed all the Praise, Grace and Sovereignty belong to You. You have no partner.
Two Rak’aats Sunnat of Ihraam
After putting on the Ihraam, perform 2 Rak’aat Sunnatul Ihraam with the headgear (A woman who is not in the state of performing Salaah, will not perform this Salaah), instead :
- She will perform Ghusl,
- Put on her clothes (which will serve as her lhraam).
- Make the Niyyat and recite the Talbiyah.
- After entering Makkah Mukarramah she will take a bath when Salaah becomes Farz on her, wear her clothes (which will serve as her Ihraam) and perform the Umrah.
The procedure of Umrah in brief:
- Put on the Ihraam before entering the Meeqaat (boundary).
- Perform two Rak’aats Salatul Ihraam.
- Say the Niyyat and Talbiyah.
- Proceed to Makkah Mukarramah, en route recite the Talbiyah constantly.
- Perform a Tawaaf with Idtibaa and Ramal.
- Perform two Rakaats Waajib Salaah (after the Tawaaf) behind MAQAAME IBRAHIM.
- Proceed to the Multazam and Zam-Zam well.
- Perform Sa’ee between Safa and Marwah.
- Shave or trim the hair of the head.
The Waajibaat of Umrah are:
- Completion of all seven circuits of Tawaaf.
- Sa’ee between Safa and Marwah.
- Shaving of the hair or trimming it (equally) on all sides.
The Faraaiz of Umrah are:
- To wear the Ihraam.
- To complete at least four circuits of Tawaaf.
Introduction to Umrah
It is Sunnate Muakkadah to perform Umrah once in a lifetime. Umrah could be performed practically throughout the year. However, an Umrah during Ramadan is superior to the Umrah performed on other days. Rasulullah (S.A.W.) has mentioned: “An Umrah performed during Ramadan is equal (in reward) to performing Haj with me.”