Upon whom is HAJ Farz?
HAJ is FARZ once in a lifetime upon every adult, male and female. The conditions that make Haj FARZ are as follows:
- To be a Muslim;
- To be mentally fit (not insane);
- To be physically fit, (not invalid or handicapped );
- Buloogh, (to he physically matured);
- To be a free person, (not to be a slave);
- To have sufficient provision for one’s dependents,. e.g. children, for the duration of one’s absence as well as to possess all requirements for travel and be financially independent. If one has the means to travel and staying at:
o Makkah Mukarramah
o Meena and
o Arafaah. HAJ becomes FARZ even though one does NOT have the means of going to Madinah Munawwarah.
- Security of route;
- A woman must he accompanied by her husband or a Mahram. A Mahram is : a male member of the family whom she is NOT allowed to marry according to Islamic law.
If any of the above conditions are not found, Haj will not be FARZ.
Once the above conditions are found, Haj becomes Farz. It becomes Waajib upon such a person to perform Haj during the first available Haj period. Delaying the Haj will be a sinful act.