THE VIRTUES OF ZAKAAT ARE:
Allah Ta’aala states in the Qur’an:
“Allah destroys wealth obtained from interest and will give increase for deed of charity”. Surah Baqarah: 276
Rasulullah S.A.W. has said:
- “The nation that does not give Zakaat, Allah will bring about a drought on them (i. e. necessities of life will become scarce)”.
- “The persons on whom Allah has bestowed, wealth, and he does not give Zakaat, on the Day ofJudgement, this wealth will turned into a venomous bald serpent which will wind around his neck and bite his jaws and say: “I am your wealth, I am your treasure.” (Bukhari)
It is stated in the Hadith that by giving Zakaat the following benefits are derived:
- Gaining of the pleasure of Allah.
- Increase in wealth.
- Protection from losses.
- It is a cause established for Allah’s forgiveness and blessings are obtained.
- Safety from calamities.
- Protection from the wrath of Allah and from a bad death.
- The Zakaat will provide a shelter on the Day of Judgment.
- Security from seventy misfortunes.
- It will serve as a shield from the fires of Jahannam.
- It contributes to Barakah in wealth.
- It saves from fear and grief.
There are two major benefits of giving Zakaat:
- It keeps one away from sin and saves the giver from moral ill arising from the love and greed for wealth.
- Through Zakaat the poorer class, are being cared for, such as widows, orphans, the disabled, the poor and the destitute.