WHAT TO DO AFTER THE KAFAN?
With the completion of the Ghusl and Kafan, the Mayyit (deceased person) is ready for DAFAN (burial). No time should be wasted and the Salaah of the Janaazah should be arranged without delay. Rasulullah (S.A.W.) has said: “If a person passes away, hasten him to his grave and do not keep him away.” The Janaazah Salaah should be arranged quickly and the Mayyit should be buried in the nearest Muslim Qabrastaan (cemetery). To transport the body over long distances is undesirable. It is also MAKROOH to delay the Janaazah Salaah and wait for late comers to increase the Jamaat.
- It is only permissible for MAHRAM women of the deceased male to see his face.
- They(MAHRAM) are his WIFE, MOTHER, GRAND MOTHER (paternal and maternal), SISTERS, AUNTS and GRAND DAUGHTERS, etc.
- Similarly only the MAHRAM males should view the face of a deceased female.
- They(MAHRAM) are her HUSBAND, FATHER, GRAND FATHER, BROTHERS, UNCLES, SONS and GRANDSONS, etc.
- In both cases of a male and female Mayyit, the face of the deceased should NOT be kept OPEN after the Kafan is put on.
- It is permissible to recite the Qur’an after the Ghusl has been performed.