ZABAH (SLAUGHTER) OF THE QURBANI ANIMAL
- It is Mustahab (preferable) that the person to whom the Qurbani animal belongs, slaughters it personally, provided he is able to slaughter (make Zabah) properly.
- If the owner is unable to slaughter, it is better to delegate the Zabah to another Muslim who is acquainted with the requirements of proper Islamic Zabah.
- A Muslim woman, who knows how to make Zabah, is also permitted to slaughter.
- If the Zabah has been delegated, it is desirable that the person for whom the Qurbani is being made, be present.
- The Islamic Zabah requires that the throat, the external jugular veins and the wind-pipe of the animal to be swiftly and clearly severed with a very sharp knife, together with the recital of BISMILLAHI ALLAHU AKBAR.
- If only two of the passages and veins are cut, the Zabah will be incorrect. Yes, if any three of the four are cut, the Zabah will be in order.
- It is Mustahab (preferable) to face the Qiblah while slaughtering.
- It is preferable to sharpen the knife before slaughtering in order to ease the suffering of the animal. After slaughtering, the animal should not be skinned or cut up into pieces before it turns completely cold.
- An animal should not be slaughtered in the presence of another animal.
- Du’a for slaughtering: Lay the throat of the animal towards the Qiblah and recite:
(For me, I have set my face firmly and truly towards Him Who created heaven and the earth, and never shall I give partners to Allah to verify my worship and my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the world. Allah this sacrifice is from You and is for You.)
WHILE SLAUGHTERING THE ANIMAL READ:
“In the name of Allah, Allah is the Greatest.”
DU’A TO BE RECITED AFTER ZABAH (SACRIFICE):
If these Du’as are not memorised then make intention of Qurbani and merely recite:
“BISMILLAH ALL AHU AKBAR.”
The Qurbani will be correct.